Simply letting your friends or family know that you care can make all the difference. Here are some tested conversation starters:
- How are you doing? Really?
- You don’t seem yourself lately, what’s going on?
- What’s happening for you?
- Is there anything you need from me to feel supported with your mental health?
- Are there physical things I can do to help support your mental health?
- When is the best time to check in again?
- Are there any signs when you are struggling that I should be aware of?
- What might progress with your mental health look like?
- You know I’m here for you, right?
If you’ve got this far then the most important thing you can do is to listen. Encourage your loved one talk about what's really going on for them and how they're feeling. Try not to interrupt while they are talking and leave any comments or queries you may have until they have finished. You can find out more about asking questions at R U OK?.
The team at Sonder is here to listen. You can start a chat or give us a call at any time of day or night - there's always a caring person waiting to help.
Tap the below buttons from your phone to be connected directly via the Sonder app.
National Mental Health Month in Australia is an initiative of the Mental Health Foundation Australia (MHFA) to advocate for and raise awareness of Australian mental health. It is an important time where the Australian community comes together to raise awareness that #MentalHealthMatters.