Unfortunately there are those that attempt to make financial gain by exploiting members of the public. This comes in the form of scams via email, phone call and other regular forms of contact.
The intelligence team at Sonder have recently seen the following scams in circulation:
- Elaborate phone scam targeting Chinese international students, known as 'virtual kidnapping'.
- COVID-19 call scams taking credit card details to send testing kits.
- Scammers appearing as delivery company DHL via email and phone call, requesting payment prior to delivery of goods (see below).
- Investment scams about wealth opportunities.
- Scammers trying to take advantage of the Government's recent announcement regarding early access to superannuation (more details below).
- Individuals taking large deposits from people seeking a dog whilst in lock down.
- Phishing emails and phone calls impersonating legitimate organisations (these include people pretending to be the World Health Organisation; charities; government authorities; travel agents and telecommunications companies).
- Products claiming to be a vaccine, prevention, or cure for the coronavirus.
Often, these kind of scams have the intention of taking payment from the innocent party. It is important to be aware of this to avoid undue financial, physical and mental stress.
Resources you can rely on:
If you are the recipient of unexpected or questionable material in any form (physical, text, phone call, email), you can rely on the following resources for clarity or validation:
- You should check the official brand website for which the communication appears to have come from.
- The Australian Government ScamWatch page tells you all of the current recognised scams.
- The NZ Government Consumer Protection website tells you how to identify a scam and how to report it.
If you need any help regarding a possible scam and what to do next, reach out to our support team at any time. We're always here to help - just click the button below if you are on your mobile device to open your Sonder app.